Tim is pleased to give talks on garden and landscape design to garden clubs and other interested groups and societies or as part of public events. In recent years, he has delivered talks to the Royal Horticultural Society of Ireland (RHSI) annual seminar 2012, Enniskerry garden Club, Kenmare Garden Club and at local fundraisers in Wicklow. He has talked publically on garden design at the Northwest garden show, Donegal and at the Powerscourt Pavilion garden centre (as part of Bord Bia’s Autumn garden campaign 2012 ), as well as speaking at Bloom in the Park on the garden expert stage.
You can select from the following talks or tailor-make a talk to suit your group’s interests, level of expertise or for a particular occasion, event or time of the gardening year.
Talks of 45 mins up to one hour
1) ‘Drawing on personal experience: to inspire garden design solutions.’ This talk focuses on Tim’s personal approach to garden and landscape design, looking at his background, experiences and influences to see how these inspire his garden design style. The talk includes lots of nice pictures of design plans and completed projects as well as Tim’s show gardens.
2) ‘To boldly go’ – being brave with garden design; revamping an existing garden with a new design.’ This talk looks at the garden design process and how you can apply the professional garden designer’s approach to your own garden. Tim illustrates the talk using garden design projects in which he has revamped existing established gardens that require a new lease of life.
3) ‘Designing and building an award winning show garden at Bloom in the Park.’ Tim recounts the tale of how he built his first large show garden at Bloom. His ‘Inspiration from Mount Usher garden’ won a gold medal and peoples’ favourite at the 2008 show. It is, possibly, the garden that is most associated with Tim’s work. A photo journey through all the stages of the project including behind the scenes information on how the main elements were built and how the design and construction challenges were met.
4) “How to build your Garden Designs”. A practical talk including how to specify and quantify hard and soft landscape materials for your garden or landscape design project. Illustrated with examples from Tim’s own work and his experiences as a landscape architect working on major construction projects.
Shorter talks lasting around 30 mins
- Why design your garden?
- Designing from scratch
- Revamping an overgrown garden
- Paving and paths
- Choosing plants
- Laying out flower beds
- Water in the garden
- Containers and pots
- Colour succession
- The edible garden
- The winter garden
- Tree selection and care
- Gardening with wild and native plants
Haven’t got a venue for your event? Why not come to Wicklow and hold your evening in the Austen design studio. It can accommodate up to 20 people. Refreshments can be brought in for the occasion.